awards and honors
With feelings of gratitude and appreciation to those who grant them, and at the same time with the responsibility and commitment that this represents before society, we share here the awards and recognitions obtained by Foundation Montecito, since we started work in 2010, to date.
- Xieti Nature Reserve approved as OECM area - [June 17] The Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development has confirmed that the Xieti Nature Reserve in Lago de Tota has satisfactorily passed the evaluation process, to be reported as an OECM area of Colombia in the UNEP-WCMC database for OECM (Other Effective Area-Based Conservation Measures - WDOECM) - [Here].
It is the first site endorsed as an OECM area in the Lake Tota basin, therefore a pioneer in this conservation model for this territory. The Xieti Nature Reserve is managed by the Foundation Montecito on loan, since 2014 - [See more].
- Three rewards inside GlobalGiving - We have now been jointly recognized as a Verified Organization, Top-Ranked, and Effective. We appreciate these distinctions, which help us in the presentation of our NGO at a global level. These medals are visible from the link of our NGO in GlobalGiving - [Here]
- Permanent Partner Recognition at GlobalGiving, and Verified Organization Seal - After successfully passing the Accelerator program in 2019, we have been recognized as permanent members of the GlobalGiving community and platform since 2020. At the same time, we have received the seal of Vetted Organization that confirms the exhaustive review carried out to our NGO for belonging to its portal and promote crowdfunding to projects. Montecito Foundation details at GlobalGiving: https://www.globalgiving.org/donate/71314 | Definition of Vetted Organization: see here | News on our blog: Here.
- Boyacá Responsible & Sustainable Environment Award - Centro RS & Veolia in partnership with Colombia Environmental Agenda and Boyacá 7 Días. Award given to Foundation Montecito, in small organization category - see: Centro RS Post | Boyacá 7 Días Post | Post FB FMontecito (19.12.2019).
- Beneficiaries of the Orange Knowledge scholarship (Netherlands) to participate in the short course "Climate Change Adaptation in Food Security and Natural Resource Management" in Uganda, organized by the Wageningen Center for Development Innovation (CDI - WUR) - see: course details.
- [Project Support] The Prince Bernhard Nature Fund (PBNF), Netherlands. Approval of support for a bird conservation project, for the benefit of the Apolinar´s Wren (Cistothorus apolinari) in the Guáquira Cove of Lake Tota (Tota, Boyacá). Details of the project and associated activities can be seen here: a1.abctota.org
- Exaltation from the Sogamoso Chamber of Commerce. For their tireless work in the protection of the environment, with special zeal in the safeguarding of Lake Tota, declared thanks to its management as the Third Most Attractive Green Destination in the Americas, at the ITB Industrial Tourism Fair Berlin, Germany. See details.
- [Shared tribute] Exaltation from the National Police of Colombia (Departmental Boyacá). To the tourism managers Felipe Andrés Velasco and Oscar Romel Rojas, for their sense of belonging, delivery and dedication when promoting before the ITB (leading fair of the world tourism industry), the tourist attractions of Lake Tota, being awarded the third rank as the greenest attraction in the Americas. See details. See: Article.
- Second place in the contest "Improve our environment: it is everyone's responsibility", by the Comptroller General of the Republic. In recognition of citizen oversight and civil organizations that work to improve environmental conditions in the national territory, through the exercise of participatory fiscal control. See details.
- Decoration "Guaque de Oro", by the Mayor of Sogamoso. In recognition of his hard work to gain local, national and global attention in favor of Lake Tota and its natural environment. See: article. See: Mayor's Publication.
- Winners of the contest "Colombia Participa" in the written category (interview / narration, with The Interview in the Clouds), organized by the National Forum Foundation for Colombia and the Ministry of Interior. See details. See: Article. Watch video.
- Exaltation of the University Santo Tomás de Aquino (Boyacá Sectional), School of Business Administration. In the category: Business Strengthening. For social and humanistic commitment. See details. See: Publication. See: Article.
- [Awarded to the Lake Tota Oversight, during the coordination exercised by Foundation Montecito] Exaltation to the Lago de Tota Veeduría, from the ESAP and the Boyacá sectional CGR. For their example of promoting with their work the civic principles of civic control. See details.
- Beneficiaries of PUM Expert Mission, from the Netherlands. For two weeks, we were accompanied by Dutch expert John Meulemans to strengthen capacities in integral basin management at Lake Tota. See details.
- Small Ramsar Prize for Video on World Wetlands Day. Global contest of short videos on the Vine platform, associated with the worldwide celebration of Wetlands Day. See details.
- NUFFIC Scholarship, Netherlands Fellowship Programs (NFP). To attend a Short Course in Integral Management of Water Resources, in the CDI Center of the University of Wageningen. See details.
- Tribute of the Colegio Salesiano de Duitama. Gala Concert of the Youth Symphonic Band of the Colegio Salesiano de Duitama, on the occasion of the celebration of its second anniversary, and in tribute to the engineer Felipe Andrés Velasco, environmentalist and defender of Lake Tota. See details.
- Person of the year (members of a group of 7 winners in the Department of Boyacá). Press award granted by the Newspaper Boyacá 7 Días, in recognition of the commitment to Lake Tota. See details. See details.